EDITORIAL: Ye, Kim K. & Vogue

Monday, March 24, 2014

Photo credits: Annie Leibovitz, Vogue

Last Friday night, as I was browsing my Instagram feed, in the quiet waiting room at Billy Bishop Toronto City airport, it all of a sudden hit me. "This is such a dream come true !! Thank you @VogueMagazine for this cover! O M GGGGGG!!! I can't even breath! […]". I kept looking at the caption, then the picture back and forth until I would realize what was happening. My eyes got all watery (this happens every single time I'm experiencing a very intense emotion!), I had this huge smile on my face  and butterflies in my stomach. Alright, I know… It wasn't me on the cover of the world's most prestigious Fashion magazine BUT, you all know how I love Kim K. and everything that surrounds her very(!) public life. I double tapped my iPhone screen and tagged Karl in  a comment, in case he had not sent his yet. Indeed, as I am like obsessed with the bride-to-be, he goes totally insane for everything that would be Ye-related ;) 

So, where am I going with that ? I really did think that after I had liked the picture, it would all go away pretty fast and the day after would be all about someone else. Dear Lord was I wrong ! The next morning, my Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr & even mailbox were filled with love/hate dramatic thoughts of all kind regarding the upcoming April cover of Vogue US. I wasn't really going to do anything about it because everybody is allowed to his own opinion, wether it's good or bad. The thing though is that to me, this cover represented so much more than just a supposedly controversial picture of two soon-to-be-married celebrities. I felt like I had to write down how I felt, not only towards the cover in itself but also towards what it meant to the whole world. This editorial isn't pro-Kim, it's pro mass culture.

To begin with, the word on the street is that Kanye apparently begged his close friend Anna Wintour to have his fiancée framed on the cover of the famous magazine for Spring. Plus, we all know Wintour has been notoriously frosty toward Kim, whose background in reality television and sex tapes doesn't necessarily fit in with the Fashion bible's more sophisticated content. But hey, haven't you all heard of mistakes ? It's that thing you do and then regret super badly afterwards… A lot of Vogue cover girls (and men!) do have their own little list of things they're ashamed of. Why should Kardashian be the only one to not have a Vogue cover because of hers ? Plus, I think it sends the right message to everyone who hears about this: You screwed up once and it is not the end of the world.

Other than the fact that Kim is neither more or less worthy than anybody else to be on Vogue US cover, she does have this mass culture thing to her advantage. As she is probably "the most intriguing woman right now" (Kanye West on his fiancée), it is a really great thing that Vogue is embracing mass culture and admitting that they are a super market brand. There's barely a strand of the modern media that she has not been able to master, and for good reason. Through her strength of character, she has created a place for herself in the glare of the world's spotlight, and it takes real guts to do that, mentioned Wintour is an editor's letter. I believe where she is right now will determine who she will grow old to be and for that matter, she is on the right path. In 2014, Kim Kardashian has so many potential and attention driven towards her that you could basically put her at the place, at the right moment with the right message and she truly could make a difference.

Another thing that shocked me in this whole Kim-on-Vogue debate was reading comments and posts saying she was not a Fashion icon & that she made everything look cheap. Well I am sorry but I wouldn't call Jessica Chastain, Taylor Swift or Michelle Williams "Fashion icons" either but it does't matter, their covers looke great ! They deserved it because they all have something to offer and something to say. Just like as Kim does. And besides, I don't think, for my part, that Fashion and luxury necessarily go together. Vogue magazine in itself is luxury. I mean come on, only the magazine costs me the same as a full lunch at school ! And there is nothing inside that I actually need or could by anyways. I'm just looking at pictures and reading articles. Now if you can afford all this, go ahead but let me remind you of something: Most of us, everyday life people, don't mind at all clothing lines like the Kardashian Kollection that sells great quality stuff for not much money ;)

Finally, Wintour has been editing the prestigious publication since 1988, but never has one of her covers been so heavily scrutinized as this one. Some people said that this was the worst editorial move she could have make throughout her whole career. Well let me remind you of something: If you are still talking about right now, she brilliantly succeeded at her job. Vogue was primarily a magazine about high Fashion, luxury and contemporary art but as the world is changing and evolving, it simply cannot stick to the past. It has to evolve with the modern society and that begins with the acceptance of mass culture as an important target audience. So basically my point here is that she is in the business of selling magazines after all, and as far as I can remember, only a few covers have taken a hold of the zeitgeist (I do speak German, remember?!) quite like this one. Just ask James Franco and Seth Rogen !







This post appeared first on Petite Brunette en Talons Hauts **

La petite brunette en talons hauts -xoxo-

No comments :

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground